What is it? Linwood has developed an exciting plan to renovate and re-energize our Adult Day Services! Our vision is to create an engaging and educational space for adult individuals living with autism where self-direction is emphasized and opportunities for success are abundant.
What are we doing? As part of this Extreme Makeover, we will be transforming and upgrading the current rooms at our program facility. In addition to repainting and re-flooring each room, we will replace old furniture and add exciting new features. Here’s a brief description of what we envision for each room:
- Supported Employment Room: Installing “walls on wheels” to provide a more productive work environment and a storage closet to better organize work materials
- Activity/Stimulation Room: Installing a water table, kinetic sand table, and bubble tubes to provide participants with fun, motivating activities and sensory stimulation
- Exercise/Relaxation Room: Installing a variety of exercise machines and equipment to allow participants to stay active as well as a space where they can relax and de-stress
- Media Room: Installing Kinect for Xbox and Nintendo Wii, a 3-in-1 game table, comfortable chairs, and a TV to provide individuals with an enjoyable means by which to socialize and interact with each other
- Computer Room: Installing cubicle stations, computers, desks, and bookshelves to provide individuals with a productive space to work, learn, and simply explore the internet
- Convenience Store: Developing a mini-store with shelving, merchandise, and a cash register where individuals can gain work experience and shop for everyday items
- Kitchen: Upgrading appliances and counter tops to provide a safe, welcoming space for preparing and enjoying meals
Why is this important? There’s a reason we are calling this an “Extreme Makeover.” By physically transforming each room at our program site, we are also transforming what our program means for the individuals we support. These renovations will enrich the program by enhancing current daily activities as well as providing participants with brand new and all-important opportunities for how they spend their free time. Providing opportunities for self-direction drives all that we do in our Adult Services Program. With guidance from our staff, each program participant chooses activities based on his or her interests and desires. In addition to giving participants many more options from which to choose, this project will also help them learn critical life skills and prepare them for successful integration into the community.
How will we accomplish this? As we take on this large endeavor, we need the support of our Linwood community. We have put together a list of supplies that we need for this project, and we will also need volunteers to help us complete these renovations.
Renovations will take place July 1-3 and July 5-10, with a goal of completing the project by Friday, July 22, 2016. Once finished, we will host an Open House for all Linwood staff, residential and non-residential program participants, family and friends! If you are able to spare any time at all or would like to donate any new or gently-used items from the supplies list, we would greatly appreciate your help. Volunteer sign-up will be available until the day of renovation. If you’re interested in helping, please email your availability to Natalie at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Thank you for supporting Linwood. We can’t wait to unveil our new Day Program!
Linwood Center, Inc., is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization, donations to which are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law, as no goods or services are received in exchange for these gifts. A copy of our current financial statement is available by contacting Linwood Center, Inc., at 3421 Martha Bush Dr., Ellicott City, MD 21043.